Marry A Foreigner In Malaysia (Both above 21 years old)

If you are a foreigner that want to marry your partner who is a Malaysian, both of you are aged above 21 years old, here’s what you need to do:

Both the bridegroom-to-be and the bride-to-be must be present in person with the following documents :

Submission for Application

  • Original and photocopy of identity card (Malaysia citizenship holder)
  • Original and photocopy of birth certificates (Malaysia citizenship holder)
  • Original and photocopy of single status (never been married before) certificate which has been translated into Bahasa Malaysia or English Language by a certificated translator and authenticated by Malaysian Embassy/High Commission/Consulate in the issuing country or Embassy/High Commission/Consulate of the issuing country in Malaysia.
  • Original and photocopy of passport of the foreigner.
  • Two (2) passport-size (5.0cm x 3.5cm) coloured photographs each.
  • A photocopy of the respective identity cards of two witnesses. The witnesses must be a Malaysian Citizen and above 21 years old. The witnesses do not required to be presented during the submission.

Appointment date of registration may be fixed during the submission of application.

On the day of registration of marriage
Both the bridegroom-to-be and the bride-to-be must be present in person together with their two witnesses. The documents required to bring along and guidelines are:

  • Original identity card and birth certificate of the Malaysian citizenship holder (bridegroom-to-be or bride-to-be)two witnesses.
  • Original identity card the two witnesses.
  • Original passport of the foreigner.
  • The bridegroom-to-be and their male witness(s) must be neatly dressed (long sleeves shirts with tie or our national costume – batik). While the bride-to-be and their female witness(s) must also be neatly dressed. T-shirt, jeans, short pants and slippers are not allowed.
  • Children are not allowed to attend the registration. This is to avoid them causing disturbances during the registration.
  • Photograph taking is allowed, however, the photographer shall not be the bridegroom-to-be, bride-to-be or any of the two witnesses.
  • The registration of marriage may not be carried out if the couple do not follow the above guidelines.

This is to serve as a reference only, the law might change, do check with Jabatan Perkahwinan Negara to confirm and finalise.

145 Replies to “Marry A Foreigner In Malaysia (Both above 21 years old)”

  1. Alynne, you both want to be Muslims? If that’s the case, I have totally no clue how to do it. You will have to go to the Jabatan Agama Islam near your place to ask. They will surely be very happy to know that the non-Muslims want to be a Muslims and will support you all the way to make sure you are converted and married legally.

  2. HI JL, sorry, he won’t be getting any PR or citizenship unless he is a professional the government is looking for. He will be just like any other foreigner that have to renew their visa from time to time even if he is working here.

  3. American, I think there shouldn’t be any problem for you because you’re not a Malaysian. Only if you’re a Malaysian Muslim then you are affected by it. 🙂

  4. Andy, I have no idea where you are from. It’s easier to marry a Chinese woman here. As for the procedures or anything, I can’t give you any because I have no idea and I am not related to any organization related to this. Whatever I shared are based on stories or experiences I heard from friends and family.

  5. Asif, you can’t because you are meant to study here not to get married and no PR for you also unless you are a professional that the government wants to hire. You can always apply for it but it’s not easy to get. There are many that applied for many times, waited for 10, 20 years, also never get. It’s just luck. If you want to marry her, you will have wait till your visa expires, go back to your country and arrange your marriage from there and apply for visa related to it. I have no idea what document you need as I’m not related to any organization related to this. Whatever I shared are based on stories or experiences I heard from friends and family. Please ask you soon-to-be wife to go to the marriage department to get the list of what you people will need and for more information.

  6. Andrew, even if she marries you, she still have to get her social visa renew, no difference. To get PR or citizenship, it’s not guaranteed. You have to apply, getting married is not the passport to get PR or citizenship. Then, you have to see your luck if the application approve or not which usually can take years! Some ppl kept on applying for 10, 20 years also never get. One word, luck.

    Unless she is a professional the government wants.

  7. Vijay, she is Malaysian Muslim and she cannot escape from it. It’s not recognize in Malaysia. She is still a Muslim. If you want to marry her, you have to convert no matter what to ensure that the marriage is legal, else, it’s illegal.

  8. ushavinod, usually if it involve foreigner, you have to register in Putrajaya. As for temple part, you can always arrange for it but this is not the registration but just blessing ceremony or custom wedding which the is not taken into consideration by the government. All they care is the paper you get from JPN to shows that you are legally married.

  9. Katze, since u’re a Muslim, I don’t think you get it from JPN, not so sure. For non-Muslim, it’s from JPN. You might want to ask you friends and family who are Muslim about it.

  10. Mei,

    First, must apply to register at JPN first. You can also do it in Indonesia and then after register in Indonesia, report back to Malaysia within 6 months. Just bring all the documents as proof.

    The kid will follow the father’s nationality. In Malaysia, the children follow whatever the citizenship the father is. So no worries about that. Best to give birth in Malaysia to save the extra procedures and messed up later. If you plan to let them be Indonesian, then just give birth in Indonesia and declare the children as Indonesians.

  11. WW, I don’t think you need to convert if your man is not Malaysian Muslim. If you don’t want to report back to Malaysia, your marriage will not be recognized. In case something happen to you, your husband and children have no rights over you and vice versa. In case the marriage didn’t work out, you will be at the losing end of losing everything including your children because you don’t have the government in Malaysia to back you up with the privilege a wife has in the law. Worst, if you plan to stay in Malaysia, you will be considered as single lady and you will have no rights to anything which related to marriage or children related.

  12. Izzati, he can’t, he is here to study not get married. He has to wait for his visa to expire, go back home and reapply for social visit visa. Since now he is over staying, he is in serious trouble. If get caught, he is forever blacklisted by Malaysia and cannot come to Malaysia for the rest of his life. Worst still, marrying a Malaysian girl when he is supposed to come her to study only and overstaying. It’s against the law.

  13. Devi, best to do it in Putrajaya to save all the hassle. I’m not sure about the spousal visa, sorry, you have to go to JPN and immigration office to get more information. All I know, foreigners will be using social visit visa and have to get it renew from time to time even for those married ones. However, it will depend on the country of origin I think. Not very sure, sorry.

  14. Hi, I am Malaysian Chinese and is planning to married a Portugal man in Portugese.Can anyone tell me what are the documents and procedure for me to get prepare to go to Portugal to get married? I really have no idea hows its going to be and will be appreciate if anyone of you can give me some tips,ideas,advices,solution….thanks a lot.

  15. Hi shiyoku, you have to know what the the Portugal side there need. Based on what they need from you, you can prepare the documents which usually you can obtain from your nearest JPN. After registered in Portugal, make sure you report about your marriage with all the documents you got there by going to your nearest JPN in Malaysia or embassy/high comm in Portugal within 6 month to avoid penalty.

  16. i’m 25 years old malaysian girl i have plan to marry an indian punjabi guy 27 years old from india who is now working in malaysian with working permit here already 3 years but his original passport and work permit is with his boss he is under contract worker permit i really need your advise so much please help me .please and after marriage i have to plan to go and work in singapore pls advise me its very urgent pls.How is the procedure

  17. Nilu, sorry, I don’t think I can help you much or know anything about the procedure, please go to your nearest JPN for it but as far as I know, people with working permit cannot marry the local lady. There’s exception though, then again please check with JPN.

  18. HI …
    M indonesian, n have a bf he’s pakistani, but both of us have plan will meet in malaysia n will be marry there in malaysia, could we ? if yes then wht the procedure coz both of us the foreigner tht will going marry in malaysia

  19. hello there.. my name iskandar.
    im 24 years old malaysia citizen stay at kuala lumpur, and i have plan to married a girl from szczecin, poland.
    she was 28 years old, and both of us never been married. i plan to married here at malaysia. so, first of all, she never been here at malaysia. secondly what do we need beside the thing that was stated on top of this page.. mind help me with the info. thank you.

  20. hello,
    i’m 26 years old malaysian girl who recently got engaged with 38 years old algerian man
    and i want him to be a malaysian soon.we plan to get married soon.can i know how long he had to stay in Malaysia to get permanent citizenship?.can he apply dual citizenship?.sorry for my english.

  21. Olivia, yes you can but you must go to your country’s own marriage registration department to get details on it as different country will have different requirements for their citizens before they can get married overseas and at the same time you can ask them the procedure.

  22. Iskandar, one thing for sure, she must come to Malaysia if you want marry her here. However, since you’re a Muslim, the requirements and procedures will be different from the non-Muslim. Best to ask the people in the mosque.

  23. izza, I don’t think he can be a Malaysian even by marrying you. There is no such thing as dual citizenship in Malaysia, he must let go of the other one if he wants to be Malaysian. The process to get PR or citizenship will vary depending each individual and even the time frame, it’s not easy to get a Malaysian citizenship or PR for foreigner unless he is a professional sought after by the country. If your’re a Muslim, the procedure will also be different too. So it’s best to go to the immigration department for details.

  24. Hi. My name is Alicia. I am a Malaysian Chinese. I am having a foreigner boyfriend. He is a Muslim. I want to ask if we get married in Malaysia, will our marriage be recognized? How can he get Malaysian citizen? Do I need to convert to Islam even though he is not a Malaysian? Or I have to convert to Islam after he has become a Malaysian citizen?
    PS: I hope I can keep my religion as I am not prepared for this.
    TQ for clarifying my doubts and questions.

  25. Another thing is, if we get married in another country, (be it in his country or other country) it a must for me to let go my Malaysian citizenship? Can I regain my Malaysian citizenship if one day we decided to live permanently in Malaysia? (maybe after 3 or 4 years of marriage, I don’t know)…TQ again.

  26. good pm i am a malaysian chinese from sibu sarawak i want to married to my filipina gf i see the requirment but i want to know where immigration we go here in sibu or in kl thanx pls respond to my question

  27. warren, go to Sibu one if you’re in Sibu and they can advise you what to do. Just go to whichever is nearer to you first.

  28. Alicia, your boyfriend won’t be getting any citizenship, not even PR, he’s just a foreigner. Of course your marriage will be recognized if you are properly married here by following all the procedure, why not? I dont think you need to convert since he is not Malaysian. However, if he manage to be the citizen here, you might need to convert(not sure about this). If you guys married overseas, you don’t have to let go of the citizenship if you got the PR in his country or in other country if he has the PR in other country unless you don’t want to be a Malaysian anymore and you got the citizenship in other country then you have to let go of your Malaysian citizenship because each Malaysian can only hold one citizenship but multiple PRs. Once you let go, you want to get it back is very, very, very, very difficult as you are now a foreigner and for a foreigner to get a PR or citizenship here is not easy unlike other country. There is no reason at all to let go of your citizenship, you can be the PR in other country, your husband will be your sponsor but of course you can have the choice to be the citizen there if you decided that Malaysia is no longer where you want to be. Good luck!

  29. good afternoon,
    me and my girlfriend are planning to come to malaysia.
    so my question is it possible to get married in malasia however do are tourests.

    note:both of us are muslims

  30. hi,
    i am a malaysian chinese and my boyfriend is an indonesian muslim. if i want to marry him here, must i convert since he is not a malaysian muslim?

  31. Dear Sir..,
    I am myanmar girl living in UAE.My bf is Vietnames . We are going to married soon but i cant find any solution to get the single certificate from Myanmar. I cant have married certificate in myanmar as well.I dont know what to do? When we asked for married certificate in Vietnam embassy they need only single certificate. the things is i cant have it in my country. i dont know what to do.if u have any idea please help us.

  32. hi,

    I’m Gina. I’m a Muslim and Malaysian. My boyfriend is a foreigner from India. He’s Hindu. We are planning to get married but really lost with the procedures. My brother married a foreigner too recently. Do we have to follow the same procedures? He’s a doctor, he was offered PR 3 years ago but he declined the offer since there were some domestic problems. Can he apply for PR again if we are planning to stay in Malaysia someday?

    Thank You.

  33. Hi,

    I’m about to marry a great guy. We knew each other since 2009 but we’re having a serious relationship this year (2011). He proposed me and we are about to get married. The problem is he is a Muslim foreigner and i am a Christian. To my understanding after i read some of the questions and answers here, i need to convert to Islam which it is not a big problem for both of us. Every time when we decide to go to the marriage registration, there always a problem occurs. He’s working in Malaysia using a social pass in which the company supposed to do the working visa in Malaysia. Instead of doing the visa, the Malaysian Protocol Department asked him to go back to his country and apply for the working visa in the Malaysia Embassy in his country. We delayed our marriage because of this matter. It’s been more than 1 month we are waiting for his working visa and there is still no update.
    I am trying my very best here in Malaysia to ask about his working visa and he is trying his best too in his country. The point is both of us is so sad and worried about out marriage. All of the planning has been frozen and people keep on asking me about the wedding date.
    Any how, both of us agreed to get married this October 2011. We keep on thinking positively and both of us still trying our best for his working visa in Malaysia.
    We know and learn a lot in this hard procedures.

    Can we get married with his social pass on October 2011? And what kind of circumstances that we might face again after we get married?

    Thank you for your kindness to read this. I really appreciate it.

  34. Hi,

    Is it hard for my husband to be to get a visa in Malaysia after both of us getting married?

    Please reply as i need a confirmation on this..

    Thank you

  35. Hi admin, I’m Malaysian Christian girl and my bf is an Iranian Shia Muslim, can we get married without converting to Muslim? I’ve heard that iranian Muslim is different since there’s Sunni and Shia. Thanks alot with ur help

  36. val, I don’t think you will need to convert since he’s is not Malaysian but then again, I am no expert in this field, and knowledge is limited. Please refer to your nearest JPN.

  37. morningcafe29, sorry but can’t help much since you both are not Malaysian. You will have to work out with your country related department.

  38. Yvonne J, since you’ve went tru’ all the procedures, so that is it, nothing much I can say but it’s now in the hand of the authority. Another way will be, marry him in his country then report back to Malaysia, much easier since there’s so many red tapes here. No matter what, if he marries you here, he still have to report back to his country. Many couples actually get married overseas and report back to JPN here, they save lots of troubles.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *