If you are a foreigner that want to marry your partner who is a Malaysian, both of you are aged above 21 years old, here’s what you need to do:
Both the bridegroom-to-be and the bride-to-be must be present in person with the following documents :
Submission for Application
- Original and photocopy of identity card (Malaysia citizenship holder)
- Original and photocopy of birth certificates (Malaysia citizenship holder)
- Original and photocopy of single status (never been married before) certificate which has been translated into Bahasa Malaysia or English Language by a certificated translator and authenticated by Malaysian Embassy/High Commission/Consulate in the issuing country or Embassy/High Commission/Consulate of the issuing country in Malaysia.
- Original and photocopy of passport of the foreigner.
- Two (2) passport-size (5.0cm x 3.5cm) coloured photographs each.
- A photocopy of the respective identity cards of two witnesses. The witnesses must be a Malaysian Citizen and above 21 years old. The witnesses do not required to be presented during the submission.
Appointment date of registration may be fixed during the submission of application.
On the day of registration of marriage
Both the bridegroom-to-be and the bride-to-be must be present in person together with their two witnesses. The documents required to bring along and guidelines are:
- Original identity card and birth certificate of the Malaysian citizenship holder (bridegroom-to-be or bride-to-be)two witnesses.
- Original identity card the two witnesses.
- Original passport of the foreigner.
- The bridegroom-to-be and their male witness(s) must be neatly dressed (long sleeves shirts with tie or our national costume – batik). While the bride-to-be and their female witness(s) must also be neatly dressed. T-shirt, jeans, short pants and slippers are not allowed.
- Children are not allowed to attend the registration. This is to avoid them causing disturbances during the registration.
- Photograph taking is allowed, however, the photographer shall not be the bridegroom-to-be, bride-to-be or any of the two witnesses.
- The registration of marriage may not be carried out if the couple do not follow the above guidelines.
This is to serve as a reference only, the law might change, do check with Jabatan Perkahwinan Negara to confirm and finalise.