Useful Links For Couples Getting Married In Malaysia

Useful Links For Couples Getting Married In Malaysia

We noticed that many people are looking for this information online and been asking questions about getting married in Malaysia or Malaysians that want to get married overseas or Malaysians that want to marry the foreigners either from the Muslims or non-Muslims, therefore we decided to compile a list of useful links here that you might find it helpful.

As we are not expert in this field, the advise we are giving are mostly based on our experiences that we got from friends and family, it is best to get the information from the departments involved. So here you go and hope that these links will help you find out more:


Categories: Featured, Legally Married In Malaysia
Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

149 Responses to “Useful Links For Couples Getting Married In Malaysia”

  1. I wish to register on the 1st of Jan 2009 at thean hou temple, but was told that it’ll be closed on that day. Can you please let me know is there anywhere which i can register on that day? Or is there any ways which this can be done as a private/special occastion? If yes, how much would that cost?

  2. Kelly, you have to contact the registrar of marriage(there are list of contacts in this blog, find them in one of the categories at the sidebar) and arrange a time with them, it might cost more(just my guess) as it’s a public holiday and they might have limited slot for you, usually you need to be very advance in booking for it. You can contact them to see is there other alternative for you to get the date you want. :) Best of luck.

  3. I’m currently in Singapore, but we need to submit the document back at our hometown, which means two different states. Is there any way that the submission of the application could be done by some relatives or even parents? I’m going through big headache now as Thean Hou Gong don even cater for registration on that day. Is there any short cut? thanks for your info.

  4. I see… You are not in Malaysia. I don’t think you can submit them without both of you attending. However, you can contact the department about it as they will let you know how or you can ask your relative or family to go to the ROM to get the information for you, that would be better. You can also opt for other Chinese associations, they should have. Since you have relative and family back home, it will be much easier and faster to get the information you need. :) Another shortcut is that you have it in Singapore and then report back to the embassy of Malaysia or you can consult the embassy of Malaysia in Singapore about it as well. Then you can consider which one is more practical for you.

  5. Eh, I want to marry a pretty girl la, can introduce one to me or not? lol.

  6. I called the Thean Hou Temple and the Chinese Association, but both told me they do not operate on that day. Anyway thanks…I’ll try.
    Let me know if you have any better suggestion.

  7. I found out from this from the Ministry of Foreing Affair site:

    Non-Muslim marriage can be registered at the Malaysian Mission provided that one or both of the couple is a Malaysian citizen. Registration of marriage must be made within the period of six (6) months after the marriage ceremony.

    For non-Muslim couples, marriage ceremony can be conducted by a Consulate Officer who is appointed by the National Registration Department of Malaysia. A letter of acknowledgement of the marital status of the couple (single/widow/widower) is required for the ceremony.

    You can read it here(get the link from this post, second from the bottom) —> “Tatacara Pendaftaran Perkahwinan bagi Warganegara Malaysia di Luar Negara (Malaysians Getting Married Overseas)”, you can contact them with any further questions that you have in mind.

    Good luck :)

  8. Neo, hahahaha… You are married :P Cannot!!

  9. Dear Sir,

    I would like to ask some advice about getting married in Malaysia – my fiance and I were both born in Malaysia; however whilst he remains a Malaysia citizen, I have adopted citizenship in New Zealand as I was raised there since kindergarten.

    We are planning on getting married in Sabah, Malaysia, next year. We are currently residing in Toronto, Canada. We are both non-Muslim and non-Christian Malaysian-Chinese.

    Questions which I hope you can help me with:
    * Do we need to register in Canada before we get married in Malaysia?
    * I read that we can register our marriage in Malaysia seven days before the actual ceremony date – is this so?
    * I would ultimately like to have our marriage registered in Malaysia (but also recognised globally).

    Thank you for your assistance; I await your reply.

  10. Mary,

    1. You don’t have to register in Canada, since your fiance is a Malaysian, you two can just come back here and have your marriage registered.

    2. This is for those that want to have their wedding ceremony overseas. No matter where you got married, you have to come back to Malaysia to report on your marriage especially since your fiance is a Malaysian within 6 months. If I’m not mistaken, your fiance must get the single certificate before proceeding to get the marriage registered, for this, he can get it from the embassy if I’m not mistaken.

    3. Basically, you are considered a foreigner and your fiance is a Malaysian, so it’s considered a Malaysian marrying a foreigner and this link should be helpful:

    Hope this helps. One more thing, I think you have to check with NZ also as you’re an NZ citizen, they might need you to report your marriage to them also.

  11. Hi,

    It’s really troublesome to made things happen on 1/1/09. So instead of the beginning of the year, we’ve made a decision to go for the last day of the year 31/12/08.

    Please advise what are the procedure to get everything ready that we could go ahead for the registration without much hazzle on that day. I’m from PJ and my hubby’s from Bentong. I heard that we are to submit some documents to the registra before the date. How long before do we have to submit, and what are these documents? Also, can we choose the place to register, i.e. Thian Hou Gong, in this case, since both of us are not from KL? What do we need to do?

    Is there anything else which i need to know too? Please advise if i miss anything important point, as i’ll be back this thursday and friday to settle it once and for all…hopefully. Do you think it could be done?

  12. Since both of you are Malaysians, you can visit the first link in this post. All the required documents are stated there.

    You defintely have to submit all those things to the registrar and you can choose anywhere you want to register, submit them to wherever you want to register will do.

    If you are using Thian Hou Gong, you still have to go to any JPN in Malaysia to get all the required documents and send it to Thian Hou Gong and usually both of you have to do it together.

    Things are easier when both of you are Malaysian and all the procedures won’t take too long, you might be able to arrange with them about it if you have tight schedule and remember that it must be two of you going together, not only you else it can’t be done. However I doubt that you can get everything done in just 1 or 2 days, there’re some follow-ups that need to be done if I’m not mistaken.

    All the best :) By the way, you can also check this out: Marry A Malaysian In Malaysia (Both above 21 years old)

  13. Does this mean we can go to any JPn for submission of application or must we go back to where our IC address is? Also, I didn’t know I need to submit the photocopy IC of the witness and the birthcert of both of us…Oh no! I called the JPN HQ in Maju Junction and was told only to bring a photocopy IC and a passport size photo for application…

  14. For Malaysians, any JPN will do, no need to follow IC, they will submit everything to your hometown for you, you don’t have to submit it yourself. I remember my friend did ask for my photostated IC for her application coz I’m her withness. I think it’s best to get all these prepared just in case. I have also friend that frantically look for his birth cert for the application.

  15. I just found an assistant registra from this websit – Mr Lim Kok Sai. How can i confirm this person is legal to legalize my marriage? His charges is RM 150…is that expensive compared to the JPN? What is the usual price?

  16. No idea who this person is. JPN is always cheaper than a “third party”. According to JPN website, the registration fee is RM 30.00, no idea about other fee but it is definitely cheaper if you do it with JPN.

  17. How do I ensure this man is not a con then? Or how do I ensure he’s one of the appointed assistant registra of marriage? In his procedure, we need to go to the commisioner for Oath…is that a good guarantee?

  18. You have to check about him with JPN. Besides, the website is not updated for more than 5 years already so the accuracy of the things in there might not be that accurate already. JPN will let you know who and what and everything that you need to get your marriage registered. You need to go tru’ the commisioner of Oath when you are registering outside JPN if I’m not mistaken as my friends went tru’ it before and they registered in associations instead of at JPN. No matter what, the first step is to go to JPN and arrange it from there. If you don’t go to JPN for your first stop, nothing can be done.

    You don’t have to worry about who will be the registrar as this is not your job, it’s JPN/association/Tian Hou Gong’s job. All you need to worry is to prepare all the necessary decuments and follow the rules set.

  19. But if the registra is a fake one…is there any cases like this? And it will means that my marriage is not legal rite?

    Ok thanks for the advice, i’ll prepare all my document…just that i gotta rush for 2 state just to get the witnesses phtocopy IC…Phew

  20. JPN and the association will assign them the job. He/she must be appointed by JPN and the association. Every association that allow marriage registration will have an appointed registrar that is given the licence by JPN. So don’t worry about it. You’re welcome and all the best to you ;)

  21. OK…I just called that guy and he said he’s from youth association…donno how true and reliable. But i’ll be back to check this out. If everything goes on well, I guess i could have “my date” 010109…:) hehe

    anyway, this is some information i got about the appointed assistant registra of marriage:

    31, Jalan 17/21 A
    46400 Petaling Jaya.
    Selangor Darul Ehsan
    Tel: +6012-208 1934
    GBBM Selangor State Adviser
    GBBM Petaling District Adviser
    GBBM Petaling Jaya Branch Adviser
    MCA Kelana Jaya Division Secretary/LI>
    MCYC Vice President
    Professional Will Writer
    Assistant Registrar Of Voters
    Managing Director Of Best Home (MM2H) Sdn Bhd

    Maybe you have ways to certify this person?

  22. Thanks for sharing Kelly. I know the youth association. If you are wary about him, you can always check with JPN as they have a list of their appointed registrar ;) Good luck in the process, share it when you’re done with it.

  23. Hi…Finally i got some updates…very happy to share.
    I went back last thursday, and the whole procedure for submission take less than half an hour and you are on the queue.
    I called Puan Kamisah from Shah Alam JPN – registration centre (if i’m not wrong) She confirmed that Mr Lim Kok Sai(Persatuan Belia) is one of the appointed registrar, in the address mentioned earlier.
    I would recommend those who do not like to much trouble to go. Its a house, with a signboard outside registra of marriage. You go there to get a form, then goes to any commissioner for “sumpah”, return the form to Mr Lim, with 2copy each of the bride & grooms IC, birthcert & photo, and the witness’ IC. The fee is RM150, and RM250 for express(registering in less than 10 days). Its a simple place, a table for the couple n witness, not too much space for friends.

    So i choose to make it simple only for immediate families, without any fancy costumes, just neat n presentable, no flower, just exchange of rings. It wouldn’t be much photo taking too at the place. We may either look for a garden to go to, or just get studio for my wedding photo to create the scene.

  24. Thanks for sharing :) Glad that you don’e it without any glitch. As long that both are Malaysians and want to register their marriage in Malaysia is not a very complicated job. As long that you follow their rules and get all the documents ready, it should go without glitch. All the best to you! ;)

  25. Hi, my younger brother want to getting married soon, however good, “cheap” appointed assistant registration?
    My younger brother stay bandar seri daman

  26. Hi Winnie, so sorry about that, I have totally no idea. You can call up JPN to check. The cheapest way is to go to JPN instead of going to assistant registrar.

  27. Hi..Im Indonesian girl, I and my boyfriend want to get married in Malaysia. He’s Syrian..could you please inform me what are the document needed and all the procedures.

  28. First of all, go to JPN counter or consulate office or ambassador of Malaysia with the following documents:
    - Photostated copy of both passports(first page and also the page with the latest date you both come into Malaysia) in A4 size.
    - Colour photo of each of you, the size is 32mm X 38mm
    - You must have the single certificate from your country(if applicable). You have to get this from your respective ambassadors.

    The process is similar to:

    However, it might not be all correct. This is just a rough idea for you. You will have to go to JPN or consulate office or ambassador to check on the details and the latest changes if they have.

  29. Hi,

    I hope you can help me out. I have been trying to figure out how to get married. I have a girlfriend from Philippines and I am a Malaysian Christian Chinese.

    I am staying in Dubai and my girlfriend is in Saudi Arabia. We are planning to get married after she finish her work in Saudi.

    I have read all the required documents and laws to register for marriage but the question is that should I register in Malaysia first or in Philippines?

    Another question, can my future wife able to hold Malaysian citizenship? I need her to have Malaysian passport because I travel a lot and I want my future wife to follow me on my trips.

    Thanks for your answer.

  30. Hi Ivan, it doesn’t matter you register your marriage in Malaysia or Philippines first.

    If you want to get your marriage register in Malaysia(you will follow all the rules in Malaysia), you have to report your marriage to Philippines authorities to complete the process.

    If you register your marriage in Philippines(follow all the rules in Philippines), then you have to come back to Malaysia within 6 months with all the documents to report to the Malaysia authorities about your marriage.

    Sadly, there is no way you wife will be granted with Malaysia citizenship, she will always be a foreigner in Malaysia. Not even getting a PR. Therefore, if she is going to follow you to travel here and there, she will have to abide by the Philippines rules. It is not easy to be granted a PR or even citizen in Malaysia. That’s the fact you have to accept.

    There are many couples that got married and I even personally know a couple that had been married for more than 3 decades and the wife is never granted with any PR or even citizenship even though the applications were being submited again and again. There’s even one that got so fed up and decided to move out of Malaysia and be PR in other country to settle down instead of staying in Malaysia because their other half will never be granted any rights as a Malaysian even though their husband/wife is a Malaysians and the children are also Malaysians. Their rationale is that, in case something happen to ther Malaysian spouse, it will be very troublesome to the non-Malaysian spouse. Imagine a family where all are Malaysians and the wife/husband is the only one not a Malaysian, not even a PR?

    Wish you all the best.

  31. Thank you very much for your answer. At least I know what to expect in the future.

    Looks like I will be forced to stay out of Malaysia. =(

  32. All the best to you :)

  33. I got another question. If I get married and my wife stay with me in Malaysia, does she needs a special visa to stay in Malaysia for a long period?

    It will be very tedious if she can only stay in Malaysia using visit visa which only valid for 1 month. I am planning to go back to Malaysia to work but if it is so tedious then I won’t work in Malaysia then.

    Thanks again for your help.


  34. Ivan, she has to periodically get her visa renew. What I heard is that they have to leave Malaysia and come back again. So if you are staying near the border it’s easy such as Johor, just go to Singapore for a day trip, get it stamps and go back to Johor every 6 month or every year. Maybe you and your wife can take this chance to have a holiday every now and then. That’s what I heard, it is best to check with th immigration department.

  35. Hi there,

    I am planning to register my marriage in Kuala Lumpur in September 2009. However, I do not wish to do it in any NRD or Thean Hou Temple. I hope to get a registrar to my venue; be it in hotel or private function. Is it possible to be done? If yes, where can I find the list of registrar. How can I confirm if the name introduced by my friends is actually permitted to do the registration?


  36. Hi there Edmond, yes you can. You have to go to JPN first to get all the details and submit all the required documents and I’m sure they have a list of qualified assistant registrar for you. If you are not sure about the name given by your friends, just call up or go to JPN to check. No matter what, you have to go to JPN to get some documents done before you can register your marriage doesn’t matter whether you will do it at JPN or other places. You can never run away from JPN in this matter *LOL* All the best!

  37. hi again,

    My question is, im a malaysian and going to marry a french at the french embassy do i need to do anything before the marriage like registering to JPN or do the marriage first at the french embassy then register at the JPN? im confused :(

  38. I’ve got another question, what are these and how can i get them?
    1. Surat Akuan Sumpah
    2. Surat Litup

    Thank you

  39. cherryblossom, you can get all the documents(the two that you mentioned) needed and advise needed from Malaysian Embassy/High Commission/Consulate in France else if you are in Malaysia, you can get them from JPN. It’s very simple, just go to Malaysian Embassy/High Commission/Consulate(if you are in France) or JPN(if you are in Malaysia) and they will tell you everything you need. You don’t have to crack your head to figure it out.

    From what I heard, you must come back to Malaysia within 6 months to report about your marriage. As far as I know, no matter where you got married, you must report your marriage to the authorities in Malaysia within 6 months to legalised your marriage.

    Basically, if you are to register your marriage in France, you will have to follow everything that is needed to get married in France and come back to Malaysia within 6 months to report your marriage, of course before that you must get all the needed document from Malaysian Embassy/High Commission/Consulate which there is a fee to be imposed; if you are to register in Malaysia, your fiance will have to follow everything that is needed to get married in Malaysia. It’s all depends on where you are getting married. At the end of the day, both of you have to report back to your respective country about the marriage so that they can update your details in their database and make sure that this marriage is genuine.

    All the best :)

  40. Hi Cherryblossom!

    Malaysian getting married in overseas required to produce a single status issue by JPN in M’sia. You can either appoint a lawyer to make the application or apply yourself in person.

  41. Hi Dear!

    I’ve to put a question for you :

    I’m from Uzbekistan and my boyfrend Singaporian.we want get married in malaysia.If can , how ?

    please to help us.

    Thank you for understanding.

  42. Hi Irina, hmm… I’m not sure about how you should do it. If you’re a Malaysian, I might be able to share some but both of you are not. However, the most important thing to get married out of your own country is you have to contact the related authority in your country first to get all the documents needed ready as different country has differentrequirement and from there you can ask them about getting marry overseas and they will lead you to related department for it.

    No matter what, your first stop will be the related departments in your respective country to sort out everything before you get married somewhere else.

  43. Hi Cherryblossom,
    Me and my fiance currently working in Dubai. We plan to get married on March 2009 (Our next trip back to Malaysia) and we wish to get the registration things to be done within 10days (We haven’t do anything regarding the marriage registration yet). Do you think this is possible? You have any idea or suggestion for us? Please advise.


  44. Hi Jesse, if both of you are Malaysians it should be possible. You can try to arrange them from the Malaysia High Commissioner or Embassy in Dubai or get your family back in Malaysia to check with JPN and submit or get information whatever it’s needed so that you can get all documents ready and get it done in one go when you’re back. As far as I know, doing it all within 10 days is not quite possible because you have to submit documents and set appointment with JPN else you can check out Malaysia High Commissioner or Embassy in Dubai and see how it’s possible for you to apply from Dubai and go back to Malaysia to register.

  45. Hi Jesse! It is possible for non-Malaysia to register their marriage in Malaysia. Both required to submit the Single Status Certificate from their country of original when they submit the application.

  46. Hi There!

    Registration for marriage is available at on Sundays
    Persatuan Karma Kagyu Dharma
    2, Lorong Jubilee
    Off Jalan Loke Yew
    55200 Kuala Lumpur
    Tel : 6 03-92221540
    H/P : 6 012-2504556
    Contact Person : Mr William

  47. Syarikat Megah, thank you for sharing. Of course non-Malaysians can register their marriage in Malaysia, what she is asking is that is it possible for her to get everything done in 10 days from submission until registration.

    By the way, please do not leave your e-mail address in open next time, this is to avoid the spammers to harvest your address and also we don’t do free advertising here. If you would like to offer your service and let people know, please kindly request for advertising quote. We appreciate your help in responding to the readers but you are more towards advertising then providing a complete answer. If you can provide a complete answer here, we will very much appreciate it. Thank you for your understanding.

  48. Hello there. I would be registering my marriage on March 2009. I have few queries I would like confirmation with:-

    1) If both me and my bf is not from Selangor state (IC also different states), can we still be registered here in KL/Selangor?. I heard we have to change our IC address to KL this true?
    2) HOw early can I start submiting my application? I heard it is two months before this also true?

    Thanks :)

  49. Elyssa,

    1) That’s what I heard from my friend also, they have to change their IC address if want to register in Putrajaya.

    2) 2-3 months if not mistaken.

    All the best :) Congrates.

  50. regarding witnesses – I understand they have to be Malaysian citizens – Can they be anyone? Do they have to be parents of the Malaysian getting married


    My Malaysian partner and I will also get married in Australia – Which should we do first – Is there any advantage to getting registered in Malaysia first?

    If we do Australia marriage first – then register before 6 months in Malaysia – Do our children still get to be Malaysian citizens??

    Thanks kindly

  51. Si, they can be any Malaysian above 21 years old.

    You can only register in one place, there is no such thing as register in Malaysia then register again in Australia or vice versa.

    If you are to get married in Australia then prepare all the documents needed for the Australia’s side for both of you and and the single certificate from Malaysia of your partner which is a must, if it’s in Bahasa Malaysia, then you have to get it translated to English for the Australia’s side.

    Just come back to report your marriage to the local authority within 6 months will do by bringing all the necessary documents as proofs that you both are married, that’s all. You don’t have to go tru’ all the registration thing anymore. Or another way is go to the embassy or high commissioner of Malaysia in Australia to report about the marriage.

    You can only choose a place to register and then report back to respective country about the marriage with the marriage certificate you got from the country you register.

    So if you choose to have your marriage register in Malaysia, you need to get everything required by the Malaysian authority and once it’s done, you have to report your marriage back to your own country but one thing you have to bear in mind is that, you will never be a Malaysian or granted with any PR or citizenship, you will still be consider as a foreigner and you have to follow all the usual immigration law just like any other foreigner.

    If not mistaken the children will be holding the same citizenship as the father but also depending on which country the children is born, there are many other factors that need to be taken into consideration when giving citizenship to the children and also the couple decision.

  52. With regards to citizenship, if the father of the child is Malaysian, it doesn’t matter where you give birth. You can claim Malaysian citizenship with ease.

    The problem arises only for women with foreign spouses who give birth out of Singapore or Malaysia. For these women, they cannot claim citizenship for their children as it is stated in the constitution that citizenship for Malaysians is only passed down by the father. The only way around this is to give birth either in Singapore or Malaysia.

    If you give birth in Australia, your children are entitled to claim Australian citizenship based on their laws – each country is different – but be aware that Malaysia doesn’t allow dual citizenship.

  53. Mei, thanks for sharing :) Yea… The problem is when the father is not Malaysian which will make it a bit more troublesome.

  54. My husband and I divorced abt 1.5yrs ago and we would like to get back together. What is the procedure for our case? Re-registration or getting registered like a new couple?

  55. Hi Kheng, wah this one I never came across, can’t help you at all. You better directly go to JPN to get all the necessary information. I bet you know where’s your nearest JPN since you’re married before. All the best to you.

  56. I got a question, normally when marrying a foreigner in Malaysia? how the process of Visa and social visit pass? what the difference this two? let say marry here, i understand they have to come in as social visit pass then apply social visit pass extension at Immigration in Putrajaya after getting the Marriage Certificate..but how about Visa? Hope u can help me.

  57. Edwin, I hope I can help in this matter but I don’t. No idea at all. It is best for your to direct these question to people in the embassy or JPN as they will know better. The best way is to compile a list of questions, go to the nearest JPN if you are in Malaysia, else the embassy or high commissioner if you’re not in Malaysia. You will get all the answers there immediately. However, if I’m not mistaken, aren’t these two the same thing? Just using different name?

  58. Dear all,

    My friend needs help in the issue of registration marriage in Msia.

    His parent married in Chinese Customary before the Law Reform (Marriage and Divorce) Act 1976 and therefore the marriage considered as legal.

    His mother passed away when he is 2 years old and his father has a second wife now and the marriage is registered.

    Recently my friend is requested to submit his parent’s marriage certificate in order for British Passport Office to issued him an BOC passport. The officer said that the marriage certificate is to prove that my friend’s birth is legitimate in Malaysia.

    What should he do? Asked his father to divorce with the 2nd wife and registered married with the absence of his mum? How to register marriage with the absence of his mum? Is this possible?


  59. Hi,
    we are both Chinese who r living in Ireland now over 6years,we Permanent residence here, and he is Muslim.But he get married in Ireland,very difficult to get divorce in here.we heard from Malaysian friend that Muslim could get married without getting divorce. Is that true? What we should do in our situation? Please advise.Looking forward to hearing from you.Thank you.

  60. Rac, how is it possible to marry a dead person? Impossible, where on earth can you get this idea? -.-” However, logically, to prove that he is a Malaysian, he has to provide all documents prove that he’s a Malaysian such as the birth certificate, the death certificate of his mom and the marriage cert of his parents(the one with his dad’s second wife), his IC, his passport and so on. All supporting documents to prove that he is a Malaysian are to be prepared just in case. If some of those documents are lost, then he will have to go get them re-issue from JPN which there’s a fee and some other documents that are needed to do so. Logically, this is the way to prove. Why don’t he ask the British authority and I’m sure they will give more details on what need to be done. Good luck.

    wang, are you Malaysian? The thing you said only applicable to Malaysian. Muslim men here can marry four wives however only with certain requirements met then they can do so else they can’t. Where do you register your marriage and did you report back to your own home country? From your message, I’m sorry that I don’t know what is your situation at all. You want to marry him or he wants to get a divorce or you two want a divorce?

  61. Hi,

    Please can you help me.

    My partner and I have been together for 8 years, have two wonderful children that have kept us so busy that we never had a chance to get married. We are due to go to Malaysia in April for a 2 week holiday and I would like to arrange a surprise wedding without my partners knowledge. He is British and I am German. Neither of us are religious so a wedding with a minister on the hotel beach would just be perfect. Please could you let me know what I need to do to get this arranged and also what prior preparation is necessary. Will it be possible to do this as a surprise? I would be happy to return to the UK and register the wedding later.

    Thank you for your advise in advance.

  62. just want to know if thr is any bridal fair soon in kch? mayb in the next few months. want 2 know cheap deals 4 photo package, hotels etc. thankx

  63. Hi julie, it seems like no news or anything about any coming fair. Since last year it’s been quiet. Hmm… However, there’s always small one from time to time at tHe Spring but problem is don’t know when.

  64. Hi Nadia, so romantic of you. Hmm… I don’t think it’s possible maybe you can arrange at your side for it and get all the necessary documents and get them to give you all the necessary advice so that you can proceed.

    Or you can just get the hotel or resort here in Malaysia to arrange a wedding set up for you, tell them that you want to give your partner a surprise “wedding”. Treat it just like a surprise party for your partner during the holiday. You can get them to assign somebody to pretend as the person that will solomize your wedding. I’m sure they will do a good job for you.

    Then after that, go back to UK to register your marriage. Then there won’t be much of legal issue that you need to take care of. Unless you intended to register in Malaysia which a surprise wedding is not possible. Only way to treat it as a party or some celebrations and make your marriage legal back in UK. Good luck!

  65. Hi there,

    I need some useful advice here and hope you can help.

    I am a Malaysian residing in the Republic of Ireland. My fiance is Irish and we are getting married this year in November. Due to limited holidays, the only feasible way for us to get married is to get registered in Ireland and then go back to Malaysia to get it re-registered.

    When re-registering our marriage in Malaysia, does my Fiance need to get a single status certificate as one of the supportive documents? Also, can I just present my identity card (mycard) as a form of identity instead of my passport or will they require passport as well?

    Has anybody with my similar situation get registered in Malaysia within 7 days with a special license or it takes longer than this and it is impossible to predict the time when you are granted the registration.

  66. Evon, you will definitely bring all your documents that you got when you register your marriage in Ireland. As for the single cert of your fiance, this I’m not so sure, I don’t think so since you already legally registered in Ireland. If I’m not mistaken, you can also go to Malaysia High Commissioner or the ambassador office to tell them you are married by bringing all the documents you got from the registration. I think I read it in one of the links I provided above that you don’t have to go back to Malaysia for it but you have to inform the relevant Malaysia authority in Ireland.

    There is no such thing as re-register, you already registered, you just need to come back to report about your change of status with all the documents as proofs.

    Hope this helps.

  67. Hi!

    I read your suggestions, my friend has got all those documents as you mentioned to proof that he is Malaysian but the UK authority wants him to proof that his birth in Malaysia is legitimate. This is the tough one cause the UK authority said that the marriage certificate of his parent is the document that proof his birth is legitimate.

    Do you have any idea how to proof his birth is legitimate other than the marriage certificate?

    Thank you.


  68. In this case, go to the Malaysia High Commissioner for help, I’m sure they have a way to do it.

  69. Hello admin (pardon me, I couldn’t find your name),

    Thank you very much moderating/hosting this forum. The information is very valuable.

    Could you please correct me if I was wrong?

    Regarding to your reply on Oct 30th, 2008 at 5:47 pm, non-Malaysian spouse will never be granted a citizenship or PR. Therefore, non-Malaysian spouse will have to leave Malaysia very 6 months to validate the Visa.

    May I know what type of Visa this non-Malaysian spouse possesses?

    To elaborate further, can their children go to local (Malaysia) school if
    1) They were born in Malaysia (I guess they are Malaysian?)
    2) They were born in US (Can they be given Malaysian citizenship?)

    I am in the similar situation. I am Malaysian married US Citizen last month. We don’t have kid. I am worried if I go back to Malaysia, my wife will be subjected to 6 month conditional stay. This will be financially burden if she has to fly back US every 6 month.

    Thank you very much.


  70. OYeap, if I’m not mistaken it’s just the social visit visa. If you come back to Malaysia with your wife, she has to go out of the country and come back again to get her visa extended. If I’m not mistaken, she doesn’t have to go back to US, the nearest she can go is Singapore or Indonesia, so long she crosses the border.

    Your children will follow your citizenship no matter where they are born unless you decided to let them have US citizenship. However if you are a Malaysian woman and giving birth outside of Malaysia, all the children will follow the citizenship of the father unless they give birth in Malaysia or Singapore. Do bear in mind that, a Malaysian cannot hold two citizenships.

    I hope this help. You can always get more details from the embassy or high commissioner.

  71. Hi There,

    My partner and I are both Malaysian. I am currently working in NZ and will be back to Malaysia in May. We plan to register for our wedding while I am back for a week. I wouldn’t be back again till November/December. However, I noticed that we need to submit the form to Registrar and both of us must be present with our 2 witnesses. Then, we need another 21 days before we can have our wedding solemnized by the Registrar and officially declared as married couple. How do I go about this? Is it possible for my partner to submit the form 1st? Thank you.

  72. Hi Christy, as far as I know, when you submit the form you don’t have to have your witnesses with you, they will only need to present themselves on the day of registration but you need to get photocopy IC from them.

    You can set an appointment date with them when you submit the form but I heard the registration date have to be within 6 months from the submission date. For example, if you submit your form on 15th August 2009, the validity will be till 14th February 2010. So, for your case, you have to do it in November. December is too late.

    The 21 days will be the time the department process your documents and also to ensure that no one will oppose to the marriage.

    If everything goes well, then you are on your way already. You will just wait until your registration date to get your marriage solemnized.

    I hope this helps.

  73. Hi,
    Not sure whether I will get a response to my question, but I’ll ask anyway. I am a British citizen and my malaysian muslim wife and I have decided to divorce. We were married in a registry office in the UK and also had a muslim ceremony here in the UK. We have filed for divorce through a UK court, do we need to do anything in Malaysia ?

  74. Hi Kevin, I think your soon-to-be-ex-wife have to let the authority in Malaysia knows about so that they can update her latest marital status. I think the UK court should be able to guide you on this or you might want to approach the high commissioner of Malaysia. Since she’s Malaysian Muslim, there might have some extra procedures as Malaysia is an Islamic country.

  75. Hi. This is a great site ! Thanks

    I am a Malaysian man marrying my Filipino girlfriend who is currently working in Australia. She plans to come to Malaysia in a few months and wants to settle in Malaysia immediately after we get married. My questions are :

    A)Single Status Letter – When I called the JPN , they told me that the Filipino Consulate/Embassy issues this but then advised that she had better get this certified by the Malaysian Embassy in Australia too ? Not sure if this is normal ? She is based in a different city and the embassy is all the way in the other side of Au in Canberra. Can she do this ‘certification’ step in Malaysia or must it be in the same country where her government isseus the Single Status Letter

    B)Surat Kebenaran/Approval Letter – The JPN website says that Filipinos must obtain an additional Approval letter from the marriage/divorce division in Putrajaya but there is no further mention of what requirements are necessary for this Approval Letter to be obtained and timelines.

    C)Timelines – She plans to do all the necessary paperwork in a single trip without having to exit and re-enter the country. Immigration says that she has 30 days stay period but I am worried this may be insufficient time. I.e She must be here in Malaysia for 7 days prior to the Marriage application, the process itself takes 21 days before the marriage is certified. The immigration then requires some proof of marriage in order to allow her to apply for either an Entry Permit or Spousal Employment Pass. Any advice on how we can plan the timing correctly ? The personnel at the JPN and Imigresen were most unhelpful as they just took the view that this was a different dept and not their issue.

  76. Z, don’t think I can help you much because I’m not related or what-so-ever with any of the agency nor in the wedding industry. I’m just a blogger updating and share whatever I know that’s it. I can’t give you answer to your question but one thing for sure marrying a foreigner is never cheap and easy for Malaysian. The duration to get everything can never be done with a single trip. There will be countless trips and countless expenditure. Unless if you want to speed thing up, register in Australia. Then come back to Malaysia to report about your marriage with all the documents that show that you are married. Also before to report back to her home country too.

  77. Hi there I wonder if anyone can help me.
    My fiance and I are both British but we are hoping to get married in Penang at the end of next year as I have a lot of family there.
    I just need to know a few things like:
    1) what do we need to do before we start booking our wedding? I know I need to get our endorsement from UK to prove we can legally marry.

    2) what do I need to do if I can’t stay in Malaysia for more min 7 days before the wedding?

    3)Will our wedding be legal in the UK?

    4) wlil I have to get registered in UK first before having a ceremony in Penang?

    and finally any further information or advice would be much appreciated.

    Thank you so much


  78. Hi Catherine,

    1) This, you can get the related department to give you all the details.

    2) Since you both are not Malaysian, I don’t think you are required to follow this set of rule. If I’m not mistaken, this is only applied to foreigner marrying a Malaysian.

    3) You have to make arrangement in the UK first and since I’m not sure about how the whole thing is in UK, so you have to look for the related department in the UK to get all the needed documents.

    4) No need. The law doesn’t recognize the ceremony but your legal documents. If you want to register here and have your ceremnoy here, you have to arrange from the relevant department in UK. If you just want to have your ceremony here and register in UK, just treat it as if you are just here for a holiday.

    It all boils down to where you want to register your marriage and not the ceremony. One can get married by just signing the paper even without any ceremony such as wedding dinner, wedding customs and so on.

    Don’t think I can help much here. Since both of you are not Malaysian, things shouldn’t be so hard, just go to the relevant department in UK to arrange everything, they will tell you everything you need to know.

  79. Hi,
    Would need advise with regards to some question i have.
    I would be registering my mariiage in July 2009.
    My G/F is from Melaka whereby I am from JB but my IC has its address set as my parents place in KL.
    Question I have is, Can both of us have the submission done in JB and have the registration done in KL.
    Do both of us need to be present during submission or can my G/F submit the form on my behalf.
    Appreciate all feedbacks.

  80. James, no is the answer. You can only register where you submit your form and if not mistaken, the IC must match the related branch of JPN. Therefore many couples changed their IC address so that they can register at their preferred location. As for form submission, if not mistaken, both of you must go together.

  81. Hi, Thanks for the reply.
    Does this also means that my g/f has to change her address to match my state.
    Or can she do her submission in Melaka and have the registration ceremony in KL where i submit my registration form.
    Sorry for asking too many questions. It is just that these stuff is a bit confusing.
    Thanks in advance

  82. James, if you want to register in KL, then she has to change her address to the same as yours. If you want to register in Melaka, you will have to change the address to her address. Where you submit the form will be where you register. The form will have to be submitted based on your address too, the nearest JPN based on your address. Everything must be together, that’s what marriage is all about ;p All the best.

  83. Thanks Man. Appreciate the feedback

  84. I am malaysian and my bf from finland and currently we working in Vietnam ,we plan to register marry in malaysia on this OCT 09 ,and my bf already get the single certificate but the thing is we will only stay at Malaysia for about 10days and may i know what is the easy way to register our marry .
    Please advice us if you know anything about this !


  85. june, I’m sorry to say that 10 days to get your wedding registered in Malaysia with a foreigner is not possible, even with the local needs at least 21 days, so 10 days is not possible at all.

    You might want to register your marriage in Finland or Vietnam whichever is easier and faster and then report back to JPN here with your marriage certs and all other documents within 6 months to avoid penalty.

    Another way that you might want to consider is register at the Malaysia Embassy or high commissioner in Vietnam, they might be able to arrange for you but 10 days is not quite possible if do it locally in Malaysia.

  86. Admin :

    Thanks ,any way i plan to fill the form in OCT first and make appoinment on DEC and then go back Malaysia on Dec to register ,may i know is it possible i can register in Alor Setar ,or i must go to PUTRA JAYA ? Because is not convenient for me that make a notary for my BF single certificate in PUTRA JAYA and back to ALOR SETAR register marry .
    Is that any laywer firm can help us on this ? After i register i can go back vietnam for work and wait until 21 days after ,and during the lunar new year i will get my marry certificate .
    Please help me !

  87. june, I don’t think you can do it in Alor Setar. Any marriage with foreigner will need to be done in Putrajaya. At least that was what my friends did. They have to fly over there to do it from Sarawak.

    Furthermore, your bf is a foreigner, he will need to fulfill many criteria set my the immigration dept before can register which I don’t think it can be in just few weeks time. He has to stay in Malaysia for few weeks, then leave, then come back again and so on before you can register your marriage. There are many procedures that are required. It will take months.

    As for your marriage cert, you will get it on the spot the day you register. No need to wait.

    The process that is long is getting the application and approval.

    If he is a local, then what you’re planning can be done but he’s not.

    So do get someone back in your hometown to go to the nearest JPN and get all the needed details, it’s not as easy as marrying a local.

  88. So during the ROM ,i still need 2 person over 21 yr old as the witness for my ROM ?

  89. june, you will need 2 person over 21 yr old as the witness for ROM for sure. However, they don’t have to be there when you submit application but you need to get their photocopied ICs for your application submission.

  90. Thanks for the information and wish you all the best !

  91. june, all the best to you too :)

  92. Hi..
    i have a foreigner boyfriend and we planned to get married soon.
    the thing is,i am a muslim and he is free thinker.can we get married in indonesia without him being converted into muslim?
    actually,i dont mind if he is not keen to do it.i heard a lot of muslim malaysians can get married in a country which not strictly practicing islam,for example,Indonesia,Vietnam..
    could you advise me in this matter?
    Thanks in advanced..

  93. Hi Diana,

    No he can’t. If you want your marriage to be legal in Malaysia, he must convert. Even if you want to marry in other country without him converting is not possible unless you don’t want your marriage to be legal and in case there’s something happen in the future, the Malaysian law won’t be protecting you.

    No matter where you get married, as long that you are a Malaysian Muslim, your other half must be converted to be recognized. You still have to report back to Malaysia in which the authority will get you to fulfill the requirements. Even non-Muslims have to report back to the country about their marriage overseas so there is no escape at all for Muslims.

    If you are going to stay in Malaysia after the marriage, then there is totally no way at all, he must convert. Unless you are not staying in Malaysia.

    I heard some stories, they just follow whatever needed by the Syariah law to get married but they don’t practice the religion at all because they are not staying in Malaysia. Documents might be stated he/she is a Muslim but he/she doesn’t practice it. If they are staying in Malaysia, they can’t escape.

    So… You have to weight the pros and cons unless you let go of your Malaysian citizenship.

    All the best to you :)

  94. I am Australian and my partner is Indonesian. He is currently working in Malaysia and we are thinking of getting married when I come over to Malaysia for a holiday.
    I have read the information about the legal requirements of the couple being in the country for 7 days before submitting an application for a marriage license.
    I will not be in Malaysia long enough to do this, I was wondering if there was a way around this as my partner is currently living and working in Malaysia?? Can he apply for the marriage license without me being in the country??

  95. chel, sorry that I’m not sure about this. Since both of your are not Malaysians, I thought you should be arranging it from your home country. Such as go the Malaysia High Commissioner in your home country or the marriage department in your country and arrange it from there, I’m sure they will be able to arrange it for you and give you all the information you need.

    Since both of you are citizen of different countries I’m not sure how the whole thing will go. As far as I know, you both need to arrange with your respective countries before getting married in some other country as different country has different laws and requirements for their citizens to marry somewhere else.

  96. Hi there. I’m a Malaysian and my partner is a Taiwanese. We planned to register our marriage in Taiwan in the coming Oct. So I need to get my single status letter ready. However, I need a Traditional Chinese copy of it. And I wish to get it translated and verified in Putrajaya Court. Any idea of how can I find contacts of Putrajaya Court translators? Thanks.

  97. WL,C, I’m sure your nearest JPN has the details for you. Contact them.

  98. Dear admin,
    i have a problem to view the subject of Malaysian married foreigner oversea.
    i am in the situation that both of us plan to get married in Philippines ,i am Malaysian lady and he is a Philippino.
    what’s the requirement for me to prepare before reaching Phillipines?
    heard i need a to get my single status, can i get it from Malaysia?where can i get it?
    how long does it take both of us to get registered in Philippines?
    thanks and have a nice day!

  99. alyeanne, you just have to follow whatever needed and the procedure of the Phillipines government. You will only need your single status certificate from your nearest JPN. The rest it will be whatever the Phillipines government needs and I don’t know what they need, you have to ask the authority there. That’s all I can share here with you, that’s all I have, anything you can’t find here please check with the relevant department. So Sorry that I can’t help you much. All the best. However, if you’re a Muslim, the requirement might be different, you have to contact JAIS; if you are non-Muslim, all you need is your single certificate and some other documents needed by the Phillipines government. You must come back to M’sia to report about your marriage to your nearest JPN in 6 months time with all the documents to prove that you are married in Phillipines else your marriage won’t be recognize in Malaysia or if you report late you will need to pay for the penalty.

  100. a malaysian n my boyfriend is mauritian n we plan to get married in malaysia first. so does that mean he needs a single status letter from mauritius to be married here? and where can i get my single status letter cos the link that u posted isnt active anymore. im requiring about getting my single status letter just incase we plan to get married in mauritius first.

  101. Adelin, there’s no such thing as in getting married somewhere first, you only get married once. Malaysian needs single status letter, just go to any nearest JPN to get it, preferable the one nearest to your IC’s address. As for your bf, he needs one if he wants to marry you and he has to get his from wherever he’s from.

    In case you get married in Mauritius, then just bring all the documents that you got when you you got married there and go to JPN to update your database.

    If you are going to marry him here, he has to fulfill certain immigration criteria before he can do so.

    All the best. Sorry for the late reply was away on traveling.

  102. Dear Admin,

    I would like to seek your advice about the single status certificate for those that want to get married overseas.

    I’m a chinese malaysian who had signed a deed of separation with my husband on 6 Sept 2008 and now we are in process of joint divorce petition.

    Question :
    1.Can I obtain a single status certification immediately just after I get the divorce decree?
    2. I am planning to get married in France in July 2010, do you think it is possible for me to remarry in such period of time? Now is Sept 2009 and I have still 10months to go. I heard from my friend say I need to wait 1&1/2years to get married again? Please advise.
    3. If my ex-husband is reluctant to sign the joint petition? Do you have any option to file divorce? I’m now working in France since last year.

  103. Appreciate for your advice. Thank you.

  104. LSF, if I’m not mistaken you cannot get your cert immediately but for how long I’m not so sure. Just like your friend said, 1&1/2years, that’s what I heard also.

    If you ex-husband doesn’t want to sign it, you can get a lawyer to do the thing which in other word, all you need is money and it will take longer time to process compare to the usual procedure. Don’t think it will be in time for you to remarry.

  105. hi admin..
    i would like to ask some question..i am malaysian citizen.i planning married my philippine gf at philippine..i wan to know is ,if i registered her at philippine..n if she born the baby at that the baby can be malaysian citizen?n if i late reports my marriage to malaysia jpn how much i would like to pay for the penalthy?

  106. Hi hong,

    The baby will follow the father’s nationality make sure your marriage is reported back to Malaysia before the baby comes and also within 6 months of your marriage.

    The penalty:
    Sijil Perkahwinan = RM20.00 Marriage Certificate = RM20.00

    Penalti bagi pendaftaran lewat= Tahun pertama RM100.00
    Penalty for late registration in first = RM100.00
    Setiap tahun berikutnya RM50.00 Each subsequent year RM50.00

  107. me & my girl friend both are non malaysian ,im muslim ,she is christian,can we register our marriage in malaysia?

  108. Mohammad, yes you can but I’m not sure how you can do it. One way is go to the embassy or high commissioner of your country or her country to arrange if you are based in M’sia. If not, then just go to your nearest marriage department to arrange.

  109. Hi Admin,

    Good Day, thank you for your very helpful postings on this site.I am writing to ask some question regarding my situation. I am from Philippines and my fiance’ is Malaysian (non-Muslim) and we wish to get married in Malaysia. In order for me to get married to a Malaysian i need to apply for “Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage” or LCCM at the Phil. Embassy here and the processing period is 10 days. Do i need to wait for this LCCM cert before applying for Marriage at JPN?

  110. Lin, if I’m not mistaken you have to wait for it before applying as I think JPN in Malaysia will want to see the document before approving or proceed with anything to ensure that it’s authentic.

  111. hii.. I am wife of Malaysian citizen and we have been married for more than a year.. We lived in Malaysia for a year and then moved to UK. Now i have to renew my Malaysian Spouse visa (long term visa) in March. What happens if i don’t renew it. It is because it is inconvenient and expensive for us to travel every 6 months to travel to Malaysia to renew my visa. So is it possible for me to not renew it? What would be the consequences? If we move to Malaysia at any time later, would it be possible for me to renew it then and live there?

  112. nisha, don’t think there will be a problem since you do not stay in Malaysia. It’s only for those staying in Malaysia. However, the only problem that might happen by then is that you might have to reapply and it might take ages to get it approved.

  113. Hi! I’m a Malaysian Christian Chinese who have a Muslim Malay girlfriend, and marriage is something we both have to consider some point soon in the future. I’m however totally dark as to my required conversion procedures to get the marriage legalised. Would you be able to advise me on the required paperwork needed for my girlfriend and I to have a legal marriage? Please help – you’re my only hope :( – Richie

    P.S You can send the reply to my email account if you like.

  114. Richie I’m not your only hope. All you need to do is go to the nearest JAIS office or JAKIM and they will be very excited and happy tell you everything. Since your gf is a Muslim, she will surely know where’s the nearest pplace for you to get advise or can even look for those ulama or a mosque to ask.

  115. Hi,

    You 7th link on your post is no longer valid, I try looking around the site but unable to find how I am able to find out the martial status of a person. Do you know where I can find that information?


  116. Hi there,

    I’m a divorced Malaysian Chinese Muslim. My bf is a British Muslim widower. My question: which is easier and faster? Marry in UK or in Malaysia? How long would it normally take for the procedure? What documents do I have to prepare? I have my divorce paper with me. People at the religious dept can’t give me concrete answer. Hope you can shed some light. If you can’t help, please let me know where else I can go find out. Thanks!

  117. hi,
    i would like to ask is it possible for us to ROM in KL if both of us are from Sabah. My gf ic address is base in KL but mine is still in Sabah. Do i have to chnage my ic address to KL district?

  118. Hi Brian, if you want to have your ROM in KL, you must change your address to KL. You have to make sure that both your addresses are of the same area in KL too to be able to register in the same ROM.

    Hello Norma, I think… Getting married in UK is much faster than Malaysia since you’re a Muslim and you know how tedious it is the procedure in Malaysia is since Malaysia is an Islamic country. However, I have no idea of the procedure. It’s best that your bf can find out what you both need if to marry in UK. I think it would save you lots of hassle, register in UK, report back to Malaysia by going to the Embassy of Malaysia in UK. Just my idea but I’m not sure whether it is feasible to do so or not.

    Nick, if you want to find out a person marital status, it’s not possible coz this is a confidential information. Unless you mean you want to find out your own status. If so, go to JPN, pay the money and get your single status certificate. Other than that, there is no way you can find out such details of other people without their consent.

  119. Hi admin,

    first off, great stuff with the website, i think you’ve made a lot of people much happier with the guidance. Hope you can help me too…

    I guess this is the info you’ll need: My fiance and I are both non-muslim Malaysians and over 21yrs old (Ok a bit older but nvm) :) . My IC address is S’wak, her’s is KL. We’d like to be married in KL as this is where we met. Yet, we’d like to keep our IC addresses to show our respective homes.

    So, can you give me a checklist of what I need to do? I know it’s a tall order, but I want to do it right. She can be a bit mad if I get it wrong. But I love her all the same…
    Many thanks admin,

  120. HOH, sorry I don’t have any checklist you need because I’m not related to any organisation or department that deals with such thing. I’m just average people like you. However, what I can say is that, you have to change your IC address, no choice. Unless you want do extra job, change to KL address then after register, change back to the address in Sarawak. That’s the only way.

  121. I’m a Malaysia and my girlfriend is from China. We would like to get married by 30 June 2010 in Malaysia. Can I know the procedure for the ROM in Malaysia as the 2nd link on your post is no longer valid. Pls advise.

  122. im a malaysia and im planing to get married end of this year,but my GF is a fillipino,what do we need to get married here in malaysia? what i need to do and do she need any visa to enter malaysia? pls help me..thank you

  123. I have a question.
    Im a bruneian muslim and my boyfriend is a canadian spon to convert.
    we are planning to get married in Malaysia.
    what are the requirements/procedure. please HELP! Thanks so much

  124. Steve, so sorry for the late reply, just notice your question but sad to say I have no idea also.

    matthias, go to your nearest JPN for the answer. She has to get her documents in her country also. As for the visa, she’ll be getting the usual visa that foreigners are getting, nothing special. If she is going to stay here, she has to get her visa renew from time to time.

    Faria, all you need to do it arrange with the marriage office in Brunei and then they will tell you the procedure on how to do it in Malaysia because no matter what, you still need to get necessary documents from your country before you can come to Malaysia to get married.

  125. All, european non-muslim looking towards marriage with Malay muslim girl. What is the most convenient way? Preferably not in Malaysia as I really don want to be registered as a muslim within their system. If something bead happens to me (die) they will have the power to dig a whole and throw me in there without even notifying my family who are all non-muslims. Is there a way out of the dramatic Malaysia sharia stuff? But on the other hand it needs to be all ok at the same time? Like living together and having kids without fear of the ‘religious police’…

  126. hi admin, i’m a sarawak-ian marrying an indonesian chinese girl. we are both PRs in Singapore and plan on doing ROM in Singapore and report back to Msia within 6months. From the replies above, I know that our kids will be entitled to Msian citizenship. Question is, will they be registered as Sarawak-ian, Malaysian (follow me)? I want them to be registered as Sarawak-ians due to land rights and privileges issues. Do you have an answer? Thanks a lot!!

  127. Dear Sir/Madam
    How r u ? i am from pakistan and i live and work in dubai as a computer technician i wanna marry with malaysian girl in Dubai please tell me what documents are required for that ?
    she is 34 and i am 27 is there any problem of age or her parents are not agree so can we ger married in dubai easylly
    plz send me mail as soon as possible as u can
    Best Regards
    Talib Al Balushi

  128. Dear admin,

    I got 1 question.
    My brother and his girlfriend which under 21 years old, they want to get marry. How can they apply for it? Are they need parents to do any confirmation? And if need confirm by parents is mean that both parents or either parties is aslo ok?

  129. Hi Admin,

    I am Malaysia-Chinese. I have an iranian boyfriend and he is a muslim. We plan to marry next year. Appreciate if you could help to answer my questions:

    1) he is a muslim but foreigner, accroding to Malaysia Law, shall I convert?

    2) is there any alternative not to convert? marry oversea?

    3) if marry oversea and not to report back to Malaysia, what is the consequences or nagative impact my future kids will have?

    Waiting for your prompt feedback! Thanks!

  130. Simon, sorry to say that, there is none. If it’s Malaysian Muslim, no choice but to convert. You can always register your marriage in other country and not report it back to Malaysia and don’t come back to Malaysia which is not recommended because your wife’s database will still be “single” in Malaysia and in case something happen to her, you have no rights for anything related to her in Malaysia, she is consider a single lady and you cannot participate in any decision making related to her. In case there’s something happen to you or the marriage doesn’t work, she will be in the losing end because the marriage is not recognize in Malaysia and she does not have all the privilege a wife should have. So, it’s up to you both to take the risk which I don’t think it’s a wise situation.

  131. Rayteo, yes your kids will be provided you have them born here in Sarawak. If they are to be born in Singapore, then you have to do extra procedure if I”m not mistaken. So, if you want to save the trouble, make sure your wife stays in Sarawak while waiting for the baby to born especially during the final 2-3 month of pregnancy. That’s what many people are doing.

  132. Hi Talib, She is an adult, she doesn’t need parents consent. She can just get married in Dubai by providing the documents the Dubai government wants. Then report to Malaysia embassy with all the documents so that the country can update her status to married. I have no idea what document is needed.

  133. Ku, must have parents’ consent from both parties. No other way. Else, wait till 21 years old.

  134. WW,

    1) You don’t have to convert.

    2) Refer to 1.

    3) If you don’t want to report back to Malaysia, your marriage will not be recognized. In case something happen to you, your husband and children have no rights over you and vice versa. In case the marriage didn’t work out, you will be at the losing end of losing everything including your children because you don’t have the government in Malaysia to back you up with the privilege a wife has in the law. Worst, if you plan to stay in Malaysia, you will be considered as single lady and you will have no rights to anything which related marriage or children related.

  135. Hi There, I am going to get married with my gf from china, i am malaysia and she is chinese, we already got all the notarized forms but she is below 21 years of age, hence we need to fill the yellow form jpn.kc01b, her father is now in malaysia to sign the form but jpn says i need to bring a translator, anyone knows where can i find one ?


  136. Dave, sorry, no idea but you might be able to find one with the help of your lawyer or go to Chinese association, they might have a clue.

  137. hey!

    i need to know me and my fiance both are from pakistan we are planing to register our marrige in malaysia is it possible for us to go to malaysia on a visit visa and register our marrige there? plus we both are muslims and let me know if he will get the citizenship of malaysia after that can we register our marrige there ?

  138. aisha, no citizenship for any of you. Registering your marriage here is not a passport for citizenship. If you want to register your marriage here, you have to arrange the documentation at your country related department and then arrange it with the relevant authority in Malaysia. Please contact the relevant department in your country about you both getting married overseas and they can guide you from there as every country has different requirements.

  139. Hi there, I would like ask something procedure about the marriage registration in malaysia.

    Me and my vietnamese wife had complete our marriage certificate in vietnam( and yes we got the paper already from vietnam side) then I am planning to fly back to malaysia on next month to apply our marriage certificate in Putrajaya, but I am confuse about my hometown, because I was born in sarawak kuching, I wonder that I can do it all the procedure in Putrajaya or not?

    Thanks for your helping on this matter ya!

  140. Alan, I think it’s OK with you being born in Kuching, Sarawak. Besides, since your case is marrying a foreigner, usually such case is done in Putrajaya. I don’t think there should be a problem though. However, I cannot guarantee my information for you is correct. One more thing, make sure your documents are translated to BM or English if it’s not already in these language.

  141. Hello, good day.

    My bf and I are from Kedah and now residing in PJ. We’re planning to do our ROM in Kedah Buddhist Association.

    I understand that we need to take the forms, go to the commissioner of oath n only we can submit the forms. May i know if we can go to the commisioner of oath in KL and then only submit the forms to the Kedah Buddhist Association? Or does it have to be all done in Kedah? Do we have to be there when we submit the forms (or can our parents represent us to submit the forms)?

    Your reply would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

  142. SY, the commisioner of oath can be from anywhere but submission you both must go together no such thing as asking representative as they want to make sure the right persons are getting married not some imposter.

  143. Hi, good day

    I’m Malaysian from Miri, Sarawak. I’m going to get marriage in Philippine with my girlfriend next month. Do u have any ideal it will take how long to process till we get the marriage certificate in Philippine? bcoz i only can stay 2weeks there.

    Another thing is, Philippine request to summit legal capacity and sudula. anywhere i can get this document in Malaysia before i go there? so we dont need to wait long for the document.

    thanks for help~

  144. For ur info, she’s a Philippino. i just hoping we can done everything within 2weeks, and we will come back Malaysia to get Malaysia Marriage certificate as well.

    thanks a lot~

  145. Konny, sorry, no idea about the procedure or any requirements of the Philippines. You should be asking them. I’m sure you girlfriend will have better access to them. Sorry, can’t help much.

  146. Hi there,

    Good Day,

    I would like to ask help from you.
    I am Filipina and my boyfriend is A British who is currently working in Kuala Lumpur and me here in Japan.
    We plan to get married in Malaysia when I finish my contract here in Japan. Do you know an agent who can help us procees our wedding documents in KL? We can provide the supporting documents. Our problem is we don’t have enough time going to Malaysian embassy to get our non marriage form stamped and who can assist us in applying the marriage license in the Registrar’s office.I hope you can recommend someone who can be trusted.

    Thank you so much in advance.

    More power to your website.



  147. Jaja, sorry, I can’t recommend anyone because I don’t know anyone but you can always find someone back at Japan to advise you on how to go about it or your boyfriend who is in KL to ask his colleagues or the immigration department or the marriage registrar office about it.

  148. Hello,

    I would like to get help from you if you can. I am holding Permenant residence status in Norway and living and working in Norway. I met my girlfriend in Malasia and she was from Myanmar and living and working in Malaysia with work permit.I want to go to Malaysia in September to get married with her there and would like to sponsor her to come and live with me in Norway. The problem is, we both are from Myanmar and non-malasian so that what should we do before getting married in Malaysia. Please suggest me any website or procedure that should follow before coming to Malaysia since I will only get one month vacation to go there and I don’t want to make any mistake and I can’t effort to make any mistake either. I know only information for marrying foreigner with malaysian but our situation is we both are non Malaysian. Could you please help or suggest us what should we do since I can only come to Malaysia to get marry with her and she can not come to Norway to visit me because it’s not easy to get Myanmar passport holder to get visa to come and visit to Norway. I love her so much and the only way to be with her is to go and marry in Malaysia. Could you please provide us with any suggestion for what to follow to get legally married in Malaysia to get marriage certificate.

    Thank you so much in advance for your help.


  149. Myo, sorry, can’t help much with your situation. One thing for sure, you will need to arrange with your home country first to get all the needed documents and ask them what you should do if you want to get married overseas. Since you both are not Malaysians, then I have no idea how to go about it because at the end of the day, you must report back to your home country to make sure the marriage is valid else it will not be valid at all.

Leave a Reply

You can use these XHTML tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>